Tuesday, January 24, 2012

File Drawer Cleanout.....

and subsequent Study Disaster!!

So as promised, I emptied 4 legal file drawers (2 sets of 2 metal drawers) this past weekend. They have been with me since college and have only been emptied a few times. Matt will tell you (in choice words, I'm sure!) how heavy and awful they are to move because I refused to empty them.

They currently reside, stacked, in the guestroom - but now that they are emptied out, they will be moving to the basement so Matt can use them as storage for his stuff. My (awesome!) brother got us a free 4 drawer black metal file cabinet a few years back and it now resides in the study closet for storage.

ok. Enough chit-chat. Here are the photos of the disaster:



 Behind Pooh and Piglet is the growing stack of Goodwill items...... yes, it has been restarted since Saturday when I dropped off 2 large bags.



Yes, it has even spilled over into the hallway a bit. Oh my goodness! But I have started the clean-up:
 All the black boxes that I haven't been using are being assembled and will be labeled so I can find everything once they find their homes on the bookcase.
 Here is the first box with extra pens, sharpies of various sizes, stickie notes and extra tape.

 These 2 pics (above and below) are a peek into how we keep our finances organized. Each year, we have an accordian file. Each pocket is labeled with various bills - ie mortgage, electric, cable, cell phone, medical, home insurance and taxes, etc. Once the bills are paid, they are marked PAID in red and filed. At the end of the year, the file is closed up and stored for the 3 - 7 years recc by tax proffessionals. I will also note, that all tax info for the year, gets put in a file and gets added to the front of the folder once complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment