Thursday, October 11, 2012

Garage Stairs - finished! (finally)

Too many months later, I have the supplies to finish the garage stairs. Let's remember what they looked like when I left off the project:
Stairs were cleaned, spray painted with Kilz - about one and a half coats all over.
Since it had been so long, I cleaned the stairs again before rolling out the indoor/outdoor carpet from Home Depot.
While I measured before I left, the Home Depot guys were not as careful in their measurements, I had to trim the carpet as I went. This is about halfway done, you can see the refuse on the right side. Reese fell asleep while keeping me company at the top of the stairs :-)
And here it is completed! 
While I REALLY with I had another 6 inches on there to complete the  bottom of the stairs - it wasn't to be since what I used as the length, is actually the width of the carpet from Home Depot. It wasn't worth the money for me to have it cut the other way and then try to figure out what I would do with the rest of it.
So I took two FLOR garage tiles (that I already had) and stacked them in top to complete the space.
I was going to put the recycling back at the top of the stairs, but I like it much better at the bottom.
Here is the finished project from the top of the stairs down.
I did put the industrial rubber backed mat at the top again, since it fits so nicely there, to catch any extra crud. Funny how it doesn't scream at me any more now that it's on a grey rug instead of white stairs!
Now, I just need to organize all the other stuff that used to live in that bottom corner! 
PS - I'm also thinking of adding our boot tray for the winter along with hooks for keys at the top of the landing. And maybe a few hooks at the bottom for my yard clothes - currently hanging on the handrail.

No comments:

Post a Comment