Friday, October 26, 2012

Crock Pot Pulled Pork

I found this recipe on Pinterest originally, but I put my own twist on it.



Ingredients:
thawed or room temp side of pork 4pds
Baby Ray's BBQ sauce 12oz bottle

Timeline:
1 day on low setting

I pulled out the crock pot, washed it (man, my basement gets dusty!), plugged it in and went to the freezer. Now the recipe states to start with a thawed side of pork, but I put it in there frozen (roughly 8pds) and poured the entire 12 oz bottle of BBQ sauce over the pork. My crock pot gets really hot, so instead of putting in on low, I kept it on keep warm, put the top on and walked away.

About 4 hours later I went back and while the pork was mostly thawed, I didn't like the lack of coverage by the BBQ sauce. I s'pose if you had a smaller crock pot, it would have covered the pork better - but I don't - so I put another 8oz (roughly) BBQ sauce and was standing there looking at it when Matt spoke up and said he thought it needed a little extra something. We didn't have any coke, which was the first thing I though of, so I put in a can of Dr Pepper and covered it again.

I let it go overnight and in the morning (overall cook time was 24hrs) it easily pulled apart and shredded. I used a dinner fork and a serving fork to shred the meant and once I made sure everything was all mixed in with the sauce, I took it off the heat.

I will say that it made enough for Matt and I to have several meals as well as give some to my parents who enjoyed theirs over mashed potatoes! Matt and I ate ours with corn or green beans and potato salad or a veggie salad. Re-heating it was easy to do and it lasted well in the fridge!

Note: not sure if I would keep the Dr Pepper in there - might try it again with coke to see if I like the flavor better. It will absolutely be repeated though as it was SUPER easy and tasty!!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! You gotta try chicken breasts and salsa next. You'll be hooked.

    ReplyDelete