Saturday, March 27, 2010

More backyard inspiration: Yard Lover

So I was trying to find more photos to show you of my thoughts for the back yard and meditation room and I cam across this awesome website! YardLover.com. They are based out of Canada but will ship anything except for their live plant collections. Those have to be picked up.
While the website has more than just flowers, here are some picks that I completely fell in love with!

I just love the colors and variety of their flower collections.

Makes it easy for us beginner gardeners!

My heart flipped a little bit when I saw this fire pit. So elegant and contained - it can sit anywhere - including the deck! It is powered by gel cans which aren't the most romantic thing in the world, but it certainly makes setup and cleanup easy!


Day lilies have to be my favorite type of lily. I just love them! The greenery also makes them perfect for naturalization which is a goal of mine for the yard. I think these would make a lovely transition piece from the grass to the woods.


Hostas have to be one of the easiest plants to take care of. And look at all the colors they come in!! I hope to plant this collection on the front walkway that leads to the parch along with a few other plants.


Phlox are another all time favorite for me. The blooms get so big and so stacked together that all you see are the flowers with no stems.


This is exactly what I was looking for in terms of the front porch railing! They come in white, which I will get (although they have 6 other colors too!) I want to get some trailing flowers to go in these so that over the spring and summer we will end up with flowers all over the front porch!


I have always thought that sunflowers would be fun to grow. I had a neighbor who grew them every year down the tiny strip of grass that was between two paved driveways. They would turn with the sun and created this sort of flower fence for the summer.

I'm thinking maybe along the back deck or in the wildflower section of the yard that doesn't have any grass?

Doesn't this look like a mini-blueberry topiary? I just love it! How much fun would it be to keep them in pots so they can be taken inside during the winter months!


What I have been referring to as the wildflower section currently doesn't have many wildflowers. It's mostly tall grasses. I'm going to get a big container like this one ever year for a few years in order to turn the tall grasses into more of a wildflower mix. I think it will be lovely and much prettier than looking at tall grass every summer.


This is what they call their woodland mix. I hope that the soil in the woods will allow some ferns and wildflowers to grow. I know that means I have to deal with the leaves rather than letting them just sit for years and years, but I think it will be worth it to see ferns and flowers on your way to the meditation space rather than trees and dead leaves.


These are bright and fun!

This flower reminds me of the Scottish thistle with its colors. It's beautiful!

My mother has always had a clump or two of chives under neath the back porch. They peek their purple flowers out every spring! I'm seriously contemplating a small herb garden on the deck railing. Decorative, fragrant and useful!



This begonia, with its dripping flowers! I think this is something that will go in the porch railing boxes on the front porch.



This lovely water bell feature I found and couldn't stop staring at. Wouldn't it be absolutely perfect in the meditation space? How awesome would it be to walk on a flowered path (maybe with some moss on the stones?) towards a meditation space with the beautiful sound of bells?

LOVE IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment