Monday, May 7, 2012

Sinking of the Luisitania - 97 years later



All photos were found through google.com

It has been 97 years since the Lusitania was sunk in just 18 minutes off the coast of Ireland. And while this year marks the 100 year anniversary of the Titanic, just 3 years later, the Lusitania was lost as well. Unlike the Titanic, the Lusitania was sunk by a German U-boat as part of WWI. If you're interested for more info, the below blog has details as well as pictures:
http://linerlogbook.blogspot.com/2011/05/lusitania-96-years-later.html
This website has the stats of the ship as well as pictures of it being built in Liverpool:

My love of ships (both the White Star line as well as the Cunard line) comes from my Dad; my curiosity and interest in the Lusitania came from an AP History class where the topic of the sinking of the Lusitania became my final research paper. I read books, articles, novels based on passengers stories, conspiracy theories and more. It became everything to me for quite a while - so every year on the anniversary, I look back and think about not just the paper I wrote, but the lives that were lost along with a beautiful ship that lies off the coast of Ireland.

No comments:

Post a Comment