Saturday, February 27, 2010

Appliance Hunting

So we've had some crazier than usual New England weather this past week. During one such night, our power started fluxuating quite a bit causing us to turn off tv's, the x-box, computers, etc. Have I mentioned my husband works in IT, so we quite a few tech-y, gadget type peices.
The one thing we forgot? The router. So....... it blew. :sigh: So off we went to Best Buy to get another one dreading it would cost a good chunk of $100. HA! on sale for $50! love it!
While we were there, we took a look at appliances. I had already been online shopping for a washer, dryer and refrigerator. The Condo already comes with the stove, microwave and dishwasher. Thank goodness. Who knew appliances cost so much?
This was our top choice for refrigerator.




I have always wanted the freezer on the bottom. It just seems to make so much more sense on so many levels: a freezer isn't used as much, its more energy efficient, the design of large bins works great for organization and quick unloading from grocery bags, etc.
The french door for the top is a new one for me. I wasn't sure about it, but after looking at the layout of over 2 dozen fridges, it wasn't the two doors that sold me, it was in the inside layout. Maybe the 1 door people just got lazy? I don't know, but the layout options for the french doors are so much better!!!
Washers and dryers have been a lot harder for me. There is the whole debate of the new front loaders vs the old school top loaders. After much discussion and thought, what won out was top loaders for the following reasons: they are still energy efficient and they cost less than the front loaders; I always start the washer and then throw things in as it fills as I run around trying to find all the dirty socks, etc. A front loader does not allow you cannot do laundry this way. And lastly - the soaking cycle. The front loaders have no soaking cycle and no way to manually soak clothes. Not that I have to soak every week when I do laundry, but it's something that I use and I need.
Thus, good ole' reliable Maytag has won out.




Next up.... inspiration rooms!

No comments:

Post a Comment