Friday, February 10, 2012

Old Portsmouth Bridge

The Old Portsmouth Bridge, or Memorial Bridge, started coming this week. It was scheduled to come down much earlier in the week than it did - AND, it was originally scheduled to come down during the day. It came down at night, so even though I walked down three days in a row hoping to catch some action, I wasn't really able to get much.
This is the first day I walked down. They had tugboats bringing in a large barge in order to float out the center section of the bridge. There were 2 other smaller barges as well which held the 2 large red cranes.




This was day two. The cranes were moving around lifting supplies onto the towers prepping everything to move. Earlier in the day the center bridge had been lifted to its max to allow one crane to pass to the other side.




While it was fun to see the cranes moving around and people all over the place getting things ready to go......
This dock full of people, as well as myself, were hoping to see the bridge taken down and put onto the barge to be floated down river.
They did it during the night. So when I went on the 3rd day, it looked like this - no center bridge.
The cranes and two smaller barges stayed - I believe to assist with the rest of the bridge coming down. The entire bridge is being removed and will then be replaced over the summer of 2013.
You can even see the big Rte 95 bridge through the hole. I know I will miss the bridge though - I walked over it to Badger Island on my lunch breaks - the cool ocean breeze was always lovely during the hot summer.... my work collegaues have also mentioned an awesome lobster sandwhich that will be out of reach as well, until the bridge is replaced.

No comments:

Post a Comment