Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving

Listening to the radio on the way into work yesterday, the radio DJ asked listeners to finish the sentence "It's not Thanksgiving until...." He talked about family dinners with huge amounts of food and football. My first thought was the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.
I know, it's kinda weird. But here's the thing, my mother always put on the parade while she cooked, baked, and ran around getting everything ready. It was the background of the morning. I did not grow up in a football house, so the TV was off in the afternoons - usually because we were off with family :)
But in the mornings, with the cereal and the sounds of the food processor, mixer and the oven door opening and closing, there was always the parade. The floats, the soap stars and celebrities, the bands, the flag twirlers and cheer leaders, the musicals from Broadway, the Rockettes, the big balloons of Snoopy and Garfield (and more recently Japanese anime characters as well as Family Guy and others), and of course we can't forget the giant turkey with the flapping wings and Santa's Sleigh that always closes the parade.
This year is a bit different. I've taped the parade and I'm not watching it this morning. Today is Thanks-me-christma-hannukah as we are celebrating with Matt's family all the upcoming holidays in one day.
Saturday will be my Thanksgiving day as I prepare a feast for my side of the family. I plan on watching the parade in the morning, as I prep all the food, bake pies and spend time with Matt and Reese.
I certainly have a LOT to be thankful for this year, not counting two Thanksgivings with family and friends. I wish you all the very best of Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment