Saturday, June 29, 2013

Morning Enthusiasm

Do you ever wake up in the morning with such enthusiasm for the day? Thinking you can get so much accomplished and that everything will just work out? That's how I felt when I got up one non-rainy morning (not too long ago) to find the sun flooding the yard! I gleefully picked-up the yard, raced around with Reese and his favorite ball for a bit and then when he wasn't quite ready to go in yet, I figured I would put in the edging to create the triangle garden bed around my scrawny maple tree that is actually growing the year!! See the two levels of leaves? It makes me giddy knowing it's finally growing!


Anyway, the bed is a triangle because of the boulder in the yard. Too high to pull grass up over (that would look silly) so I figured, why not make a garden there and make the most of the break in the lawn. Lawn is a term used loosely at my house - it means green stuff since it's not all grass :-)
So my perfect morning was moving right along until I whacked my hand with the rubber mallet I was using to put in the edging. OUCH!

I'm not sure how well you can see it here, but I really got myself pretty good on the inside of my thumb and first finger. Hurt like the dickens at the time but the pain went away fairly quickly..... then the bruise started growing. and growing. So I stopped the project and took Reese for a walk instead. 


On a slightly related topic (yards and gardens).... This is the way a few of my neighbors divide the 'woods' from the 'yard'. I was thinking it was interesting in the spring but was curious as to how it would fill out.


Here it is again all filled out with summer leaves! I think it's really pretty and a nice long stretch of low maintenance plants/garden bed that creates the border. Granted, we have a LOT more border and 'woods' but something to think about as I finish clearing out the brush under the trees along the driveway this year. The soil there is very sandy and there isn't much to it, but hostas in a bit of good dirt over the top might just be the answer!

No comments:

Post a Comment