Friday, May 21, 2010

Waking up on the Right Side ...

I have been short on sleep since before we moved. So I guess that would be close to a month now. Granted, there have been a couple good nights sleep over weekends, but I just haven't gotten into the habit of going to bed soon enough during the week. There is still so much to do!

Last night was a PRIME example of this! I told Matt I was going up to bed around 10.30 so I could get some sleep. He agreed this was a good plan and stayed in the kitchen to wash up and run a second load of dishes so we would be ready for hosting (our first!) BBQ tonight.

But did I go to bed? No, of course not. I got to the top of the stairs and saw Matt's new-old dresser in its semi-perm spot under the front windows and just started to drool. The guys had carried it up there earlier that night but I had been in the kitchen cooking and hadn't gotten a chance to see it. Stunning. Seriously! I'm so happy I found it and then bought it.

Needless to say I needed to put pics along the top and move a few things around in the hallway so as to make room in the study where friends will be staying tonight. And then I tidied up our bedroom, closing curtains, turning on lights, moving the laundry hamper - puttering! - is what Matt calls it. I did the same then in the study and the hallway. Not that everything looks perfect now - far from it! - but there's room to walk around and get from room to room and people can see where the house will be going.

So when I finally got to bed I was so tired I was reaching the silly - giggling stage. But I couldn't focus or get myself to sleep. Hence my - maybe - 5 hrs sleep last night. BUT! Here's the kicker (and the reason for telling you all this) I woke up and I've been happy, alert, singing in the car and dancing along with the singing in the car all morning. All morning. With NO coffee or juice. This is a miracle!

The only thing I can figure is that the 5 hrs somehow made a perfect REM cycle of sleep and/or I am going to crash at some point today and be completely dead to the world.

I do have to say though, that while I spent most of my life living on the outskirts of cities and my summers in the woods of Maine, that living in the country - sort of in between - has been wonderful thus far! There is a gentle morning fog that rolls across the farmlands and roads, the sun is peeking through the trees lighting the dew on the grass and the sound of the birds (that you can actually hear!).

So as I sang and danced my way down the 2-lane road 32 miles to the main highway, it was a beautiful spring morning (53 degrees) and everything seemed right.

No comments:

Post a Comment