Thursday, May 20, 2010

Matt's New-Old Dresser

I have been a fan of old furniture my entire life. It has more character, more life and better built that most of the modern furniture built now. That being said, sometimes you just have to get new.

We purchased our bed frame and mattress from Jordan's about 2 years ago now. We still love it! But they have a matching 9-drawer dresser that we loved too. We couldn't afford to get it at the time, so occasionally it becomes a topic again. I have a dresser set given to me by my mother who found hers at a family's yard sale when she graduated college. Needless to say, they are OLD, but wonderful! I wouldn't want any other dressers - EVER.

So the new 9-drawer that matches the bed frame would be for Matt - my husband. He was using one of mine for a long time, but now we are down that one as its being re-furbished. So with the two of us, our 2 smaller closets and 1 dresser we are hurting for space. The poor guy has been living out of clothes boxes because there is no where to put them if he unpacked - aside from the floor - which is one of the fastest ways to bug me :-)

I was browsing through Craigslist (Tues), on the advice of a dear friend of mine, and happened to find a dresser that was almost identical to the Jordan's one. I was startled, excited and generally in shock. The measurements are right on, it has the same 9-drawers, the short legs so it doesn't sit directly on the floor. It was incredible. So I emailed the person selling it - turns out she has been the only owner since she purchased and she doesn't want to move it again. First come first serve she said and she had 3 couples coming Wednesday to look at it. I told her I would come to see that night.

My brother was awesome and came with me bringing his truck just in case it worked out. Which it did! It needs new handles on all the drawers and I will most likely paint it to match our furniture - but not immediately. Right now it's sitting in the garage waiting for both guys to be home at the same time so it can be taken upstairs for use! Yay for not living out of boxes anymore!!!

When its up and in place I will take a picture and post it for you all. I'm so excited it worked out and that we now have a great older piece for less than half the price of the new one!

I will totally be scoping out more of craigslist for other items like floor lamps, a sideboard for the dining room, etc. What a great find! I'm still so excited about it :-)

Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment