Friday, July 2, 2010

Independence Day!


Ah, Independence Day! Has there ever been a more classic holiday for the 13 original colonies? I think not! Some say, Boston is the best place to celebrate, others say Philly, but really - as long as you're in the original colonies where history come back with like a force of nature, I don't think it matters if you're in Baltimore, Boston or anywhere else!

"Never was such a valuable possession so stupidly and recklessly managed, than this entire continent by the British crown. Our industry discouraged, our resouces pillaged... first of all our very character stifled. We've spawned a new race here, Mr. Dikinson. Rougher, simpler; more violent, more enterprising; less refined. We're a new nationality. We require a new nation."

As a second generation American (3 out of 4 grandparents), I am still extremely proud to live in this land of opportunity and work hard for my accomplishments. I love the history of this country and what our Founding Fathers accomplished with what they had. I sometimes feel that those great works have been forgotten and people now celebrate the parades and the fireworks, without perhaps thinking of those that sacrificed so much for us to be here.

ok. I'm down off my soapbox. One last quote, as it's without a doubt one of my favorites.

"Franklin: Don't worry, John. The history books will clean it up.
Adams: It doesn't matter. I won't be in the history books anyway, only you. Franklin did this and Franklin did that and Franklin did some other damn thing. Franklin smote the ground and out sprang George Washington, fully grown and on his horse. Franklin then electrified him with his miraculous lightning rod and the three of them- Franklin, Washington, and the horse- conducted the entire revolution by themselves.
[pause]
Franklin: I like it."

Happy Independence weekend everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Happy 4th, darling! I appreciate the shout out to Baltimore!

    ReplyDelete