Saturday, April 12, 2014

Patching & Painting

Last time I posted pics of the basement stairs they looked like this:
Top half all white aside from the splotches of test color swatches
the lower half started but not finished
I worked on this project for 3 nights after work this week.
I started by filling in all the holes
and patching the corner where furniture and boxes had taken their toll.
to be honest, at first I wasn't happy about the unfinished stairwell,
but it ended up being a smart move because I would have had to repaint
large sections of it anyway!
After sanding down the dry patches (conclusion of night 1)
I finished sanding, took off the railings and started cutting in/edging (night 2)
by the way, that little corner on the upper right hand side of the picture where the wooden shelf ends in the wall? That tiny little space? What a pain to paint! I used a craft brush to give me better control :-)
the shelf made for a lot more cutting in/edging work
and the funky ceilings :-)

see the swatches on the wall? that's with spray paint KILZ over them.
consequently, I'll never buy spray paint KILZ again :(
the door frame. super awkward. I'm tall, but not that tall!
I ended up doing it all with a brush, standing on a stool in the doorway.
This does show you how the color pulls the hallway and floors together. 
The majority of the house is this color now: 
the basement, first floor, hallways, stairs to the second floor and second floor hallway.
my variety of paint supplies. The card worked better on the shelf than tape
Reese wasn't super happy with the situation, but the low/no VOC
made it comfy enough that he hung around
painted wall
painted upper corner of landing
painted wall at the top of the stairs - I took a ton of pictures
because the color doesn't really photograph well - it just doesn't look white.
looking down from the top of the stairs (conclusion of night 3)
The finished color is called Cream Puff - hilarious I know!
I love that it takes the edge of the harsh white and makes the stairway
kinda glow a happy pale yellow. Gives the molding an extra umph too!
it took me SO long to finish that Reese fell asleep (all of 2 hrs to roll)
it kills me when he does this :-) I think it's so funny!!
his head and nose are super squished - he snores like crazy! 

It was great to split up the project as it meant I could work on it during the week and it also gave spackle/paint time to dry in between :-)

I hope to have a few more updates concerning the basement shortly!

No comments:

Post a Comment